Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, December 8, 2008

No no, it's not what it looks like!

Well today after Solly's spa treatment (which I am adding a bit of betadine to) his scab was loose, so I pulled most of it off to reveal nice pink healthy flesh, yay! Also he did not visibly limp. Heh, funny boy. He got bored and acted up a bit while soaking- he managed to get a lot of his soaking solution on me. Cold Ev. Bad hoss!
So then he decided he wanted to go back to his old paddock. He was a little too dancey for my comfort, so I stuck him in the cross ties to dry while I went to get his stud chain, which I latched around my neck for convenient conveyance. Usually now the sight of it makes him behave. We both hate using it.
Of course when I got back he had a lot to say about me abandoning him there FOREVER, at least 2 minutes. He yelled at me, haha, I mean it was a cross between a nicker and a bellow!
One thing I can say is that he is very good and very careful when I crawl under him to tend his wounds, which are usually on the inside of his legs. Didn't move a muscle. Got a cookie, heh. "Thanks for not killing momma" treats, yay.
So I put him back for the night and drove to Trader Joe's, tired but craving goat cheese with honey. I did all my shopping and got in my car before I realized that I was visibly soaked from the crotch down, and I had this big chain around my neck. Hah!

No comments: