Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My boo is hurt again. :(

Songs of "vet bill" Solomon is lame today.


So we're on leg #3. I'm learning to not panic as readily now. But my poor baby. He was actually letting it SHOW how much he hurt. Limping badly. Whimpering at every step. Head bobbing really far every time he walked on his left front. At first he refused to walk towards the gate at all. He had that tragic look on his face.


Ah shit.


Venus, the little 17 month old filly, was trying to nurse off him a few moments before I snapped this picture. Both the babies were clinging to him for some reason. Bobby, the 2 year old, is back behind them I think. Solly isn't looking really forlorn here, but he was whimpering every time he walked or was asked to walk.

One of the Nice Boarder Ladies was there, very very sweet lady who likes Solly a lot, and she helped me coax him out of the pasture and to his paddock. First he walked with just encouragement, then he followed a fistful of hay, and then eventually we had to use the stud chain to get him to move, but once he realized that we were going to his paddock, he came limping along easily enough. We took it very slowly, but he behaved.
Washed the wound and it looked like this:



And his front legs look like this:

Nice Boarder Lady thinks the tendon might be swollen on his lower legs, but isn't sure. I can't tell. Anyone have an idea?

I asked one of the on-site trainer to look at it, which he kindly did. I was thinking at first that maybe it was an abcess that had drained maybe, but he thinks that Solomon kicked himself, maybe while getting up from rolling or something. He also thinks that he'll be okay. Probably it just hurts a lot. I hope. I just want him to be okay. And I want him to be happy. Yeah I want to ride but that is not the most important thing. Buh. Any thoughts?

No comments: