Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Guh.

My horse has been screaming and calling to the pasture horses, who have been whipping themselves into a frenzy trying to get to him. They broke down the fence. So now I have to move him to another section of hossmoor, to the all mare-motel area near the BO's house. Which might mean that he can't have any of his paddock toys to keep him occupied, if he makes a lot of noise with them at night. I dunno.
Back hurts, feel kinda sick, not looking forward to moving everything out of my tack locker and into another tack room somewhere. Bye Bye heated wash rack too. :( Guh.
I hope the filly didn't hurt herself. The day I led Solly limping out of the pasture, she actually tried to nurse off him. Way too old to nurse, 17 months, heh. But there she was. Doesn't work so well on a gelding!
I think they were upset that I complained about the water, too. Well, it was brown and scum was floating at the top. It smelled strongly of rotten eggs. I let them skim the top with a fish net and backed down because I felt like I'd get kicked out if I pressed the issue too much. The BO's son said they liked the water like that, and it had nutrients they needed. But it seems to me that Solomon drinks less, and the time we cleaned his water barrel out completely and refilled it, he immediately stuck his head and and started gulping water down, even tried to do it while we ran the hose.
Am I too picky? Am I being a demanding princess? Board there is very very close to the amount of rent I pay for my own home, I don't think that asking for fresh, clean water is asking that much. But maybe I'm being unreasonable. Maybe people don't usually clean water buckets once a week. Or more than once every couple months. Maybe I shouldn't make such a big deal out of it, and I need to be less overprotective?
Hoss people, please tell me, when is horse water too dirty to be acceptable?
He's a hay dunker too, heh.

Anyway, I'll move him. I don't want to fight over this, and if the herd horses and Solomon are getting really upset by being able to see each other but not reach each other, then maybe it is best that he be moved to a different area.

No comments: