Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

In which Solomon is impolite.

Solly is doing just great now.
I took him back up to his pasture. He was wearing his danceypants all the way up, so we had to stop a few times before he decided that rearing or trying to run to the pasture gate was a good idea.
Oh boy howdy was he ready to go back! He almost took off as soon as he was through the gate, but I got him to stand for me while I unbuckled his halter. Once the buckle was off though, he tossed it right off his head just like last time, and went CHARGING across the field. Got a few of the other horses running with him too, even though it was dinner time. Well then!



After he settled down to eat I took this video. Hm. I am going to lay off the hand treating for a bit, he's getting WAY too pushy and mouthy. My friend L said he was going to bite me, that it was only a matter of time, and I think she's right. Hand treats are a privilege, not a right, and he's getting too far out of line with it, heh. 'Course teaching him tricks with treat rewards has really made it worse, though he is good with the tricks!

Yeah, he bites Venus in the end of that video. He loves her, but he loves momma and the treats she gives a lot more.

But yay for his foot healing up! No sign of infection or proud flesh. I think we did well on this one.

No comments: