Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Today at the barn.

I think I'm getting a cold. :<
But I went to the christmas party at the barn. It was in the indoor arena, but there was a nice cheery fire pit, yay! The BO asked if I wanted a marshmellow to roast, and I nickered, so she gave me one, haha. I talked to a lot of people, met some of the dressage barn people (they were actually really friendly!) and I am pretty sure I didn't make an ass of myself, so yay! :D

Went out to see my horse. It's cold out there. Some sort of arctic storm is supposed to be making it's way to California, somehow. I huddled up against the pasture horses. They were very warm. Venus tried to eat my Thor's hammer briefly. Hah! She came up to greet me, Solly was eating hay and occupied, but he did accept a cookie. I got his feet picked out (where does he find that stuff to step in? Eugh!) and huddled up against him for a while, but I think I must have been too cold for him, hah. It was dinner time and he takes eating pretty seriously. I am considering giving him some warm grain mash each day, though he seems to be taking the weather fine.

I decided to leave him out for the storm. He gets really upset sitting all alone in the paddock, and nobody else brought their horses in. The BO thinks he got hurt because they were all playing and he went through the fence on the hillside, then maybe hurt himself trying to get back in the pasture, who knows. Hopefully he'll do fine this time. They're all sticking pretty close together, feuds foregone because there's warmth in numbers. Our wimpy wimpy California horses! Horses in Minnesota are standing out in fields in blizzards, no blankets or anything, and we're worried they'll get chilled out here. It's supposed to maybe get to 28 degrees in this storm at some point. I might bring him in and blanket him if it gets that cold since he is still only a little fluffy. He does have a winter coat now though. It's so silky soft! A lot more white than his summer coat too I think, but then he's so often dirty it's hard to tell. He looks clean in the photos but believe me, he's not. His mane and tail are supposed to be almost pure white!

2 comments:

C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evergrey said...

Hahahaha okay I know I know!
But our hosses have no fuzz! :o and it's soaking wet out there instead of snowy! And... and we're all spoiled ROTTEN here. Heh.