Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

A better day.

Solly was a good boy today.
I had to go get him on the hillside because the rival gelding was a little too curious about me, and Sol wasn't about to come up to me when he was right there- I think Kyrie can kick Solomon's butt, heh.
So I climbed the little ways up the hillside to him. It was dry, not slick and muddy, so it wasn't such a big deal. He approached me a bit, and lowered his head for the halter, but the hillside was so steep that I couldn't reach the top of his head, haha. Had to climb up to reach the top of his head.
After I haltered him, he very readily walked with me. I gave him a long lead, though he still tried to crowd me a bit at one point. Put a stop to that (steep hillside + crowding? UH UH.) Anyway we made it down the hill and to his stall. I stopped at the car with him to grab a couple of horse cookies I had in my glove box. Forgot about them late last year, haha.
Then it was hoof picking with some iodine, and I had to run home. He was a good boy and a love today though, and on days like this I remember why I put up with the butthead days. <3

No comments: