Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Lovely day.

Today, Solomon and Critter were standing nose to nose when I showed up. As soon as Sol saw me, he abandoned his buddy and nickered like crazy, nudging the gate with his nose. I'd brought him in for the latest rain storm, which I don't like doing but it's better than more wound-wrapping.
So he was unhappy that we went straight to the cross-ties, but was a good boy anyway. The section I put him in turned out to have ropes that were too short, so I only put one clip on his halter. This allowed him to lower his head and move around a bit. I'd given him a carrot for doing "kiss me" on command, and Sol decided to "bow" to try and beg for more. Silly boy. He doesn't get carrots unless he does these things on command, but that doesn't stop hope from springing eternal.
So his feet got cleaned and they got their iodine treatment. It seems to be working quite well.
So I walked Sol to the trap turnout, which has a gate to the pasture. I've found that when he's antsy it's a lot easier and less dangerous to turn him out in the trap and then let him in the pasture after he has calmed down a bit- if he's feeling too stir-crazy he will plunge and rear the whole walk up to the pasture, the butthead.
So anyway, I let him loose in the trap. He rolled right away, with no regard for the sharp gravel and rocks in the ground. Some of his dings are a little less mysterious now. :p
Then he went galloping all the way to the pasture gate. Heh. I got him to calm down enough to do his carrot stretches. While we were doing this, two of his little band came up to the gate- Dragon and Venus. It took a bit of convincing to get them to move away enough for me to safely let Sol into the pasture, but move they did, and he joined them on the other side. After a bit, I joined them as well.
Dragon was rubbing on the gate-post, swishing his tail and stomping. He looked itchy. Venus nibbled on his side and came away with a mouthful of hair. I waited until Venus and Sol had wandered a handful of feet away and then gave Dragon a skrtich. I got a fistful of horse-wool. Dragon's eye was soft and his lip was droopy while I rubbed and scratched him all over. I swear I got half a horse worth of hair. It came out like crazy, revealing bright, burnished copper hair beneath. I had forgotten what a lovely color Dragon was! When I finished he still had shagginess, but he looked much better, and seemed to be a lot less itchy too. I wish I'd taken my camera with me.
Then after a bit Sol and Dragon decided to graze together, and Venus approached. She was pretty polite about it, and I closed the last bit of distance. She raised up her head and very lightly brushed me with her nose, which made me a bit nervous since she has now bit her owner twice. She was a good girl, though. She rested her muzzle on my shoulder and ever-so-gently pressed her velvety cheek against mine. She sighed and let me rub her cheeks. After a minute or so she moved off to join the boys. I treasure moments like this.
Solomon is friends with Venus and Dragon. I have realized that I am, too. I'm glad that I will still get to visit them while Sol is up north. Of everything, this is what I worry about the most- separating him from them for so long. I think they will all be fine, but I still feel a bit guilty about it.
When I left, they were all happily munching on grass and hay under a blue sky with fluffy clouds. What a lovely day.

No comments: