Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Dentist, bean vicotry, and drugs!



Solomon had to have three shots of sedation to get his teeth floated today. He really did need it again, though they weren't too bad. He had ramps, especially in his far back molars. He needed to have his incisors rebalanced as well. He also got his vaccinations.

He'd been eating grass before I brought him in.



After the dental work I put on my gloves, pulled out the excalibur, sang some love songs (the dentists were rolling) and removed 5 or 6 beans. Oh man, poor boy! A couple were the size of lima beans. The rest were pretty small. It was a long and difficult job. Of course I unconsciously had a running commentary going the entire time, which the dentists, vet, and staff got to hear. Well, at least they got some amusement for the day! When I finally got the last bit, I got to walk past all of them to the trash can, so I did a victory pose and declared that I had won the sheath-cleaning olympics. Go me!
Yep, I am living the dream of every little girl who wants a pony, oh yeah! :p

Afterwards, it took a long time for all those drugs to wear off.









Bad news though- the crack in his hoof is a little worse today. If it gets any worse than this, I'll just have either the farrier or the vet cut off as much of the affected area as possible, since it's hard to treat in this spot and it could become a serious problem if it gets any deeper in.

I coppertoxed it today. A little scorched earth of me, but I wanted to be sure some medication would get all the way into the ends of the crack, and the paste is difficult to do that with.

The ground is so saturated and muddy right now that in some places I was sinking in halfway to my knees. GAH.

No comments: