Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Yay finally!

A package from Valley Vet arrived!
I now have a box of 100 non-stick gauze pads, 3" by 4". I just went ahead and opened the punched out quick dispenser. *weeps*
I also have 4" elasticon, and I hadn't realized that what I had before was 3". Hah. Well no, this is good, now I will have two different sizes to choose from.
I got a spray bottle of Absorbine UltraShield for tick control. I spray it on Sol and I spray it on myself. I know you aren't supposed to get it on your skin at all, but you know what? It never seems to hurt, and lyme disease scares me more. I have also taken to just ripping apart the ticks I find with my fingers. Taking them over to the hoof pick is too much trouble. :p
And finally, I got a peppermint scented Jollyball! I know there's a good chance he won't care about it at all, but I figured he is a mouthy horse who gets bored easily, and since he'll have a big pen up in Pope Valley, it'll be nice for him to have a toy that he can kick and throw around. The boarders tell me that when I am not there and he is in his pen he throws a fit and pulls down everything he can reach, then tosses it about. He loves grain-pan soccer too.
By the way, what do y'all use as a soak pan? I am just using your typical square-sizes cleaning bucket from ye olde drugstore. It's deep and narrow and Solly is really a very good sport about it, but occasionally if it's a long soak he gets antsy and kicks said bucket, soaking mom.
I'm considering, when I have the money, buying two grain pans and then labeling them clearly, using one for grain and one for soaking. That might work better, yeah.

Sol's hoof crack is scary, though luckily today the crack going up the outside started going horizontal instead of vertical. WHEW. Much less scary. However, the crack does go deep and it actually cuts all the way across the bar! It might be an abscess vent, or it might be that thrush burrowed in from deep under his frog and worked it's way in and across. Either one is possible.





Here is, roughly, the path of the crack:



Tomorrow the vet will be at hossmoor, so she's going to take a look at his foot, and maybe cut a bit off the outside so that it won't break off in a nasty fashion. I am also going to start soaking it (and probably the other three for good measure) with a mix of 1 gallon of water and 2 ounces of lysol. Then I'll medicate the foot with a 50/50 mix of triple antibiotic and athlete's foot cream. The soaking is really important because I cannot get in deep enough with paste to treat the crack in his foot, but I can't have all of the affected area carved out either because then his foot will not have enough support, and he might get worse problems than he already has.

Also, here's that rear fetlock wound:

I was worried because it seemed to have a little heat, so I peeled off the scab, which had mud mixed in with it anyway. I hadn't though it would scab up, or I wouldn't have put him back out to pasture quite so soon. Anyway, it looks like it has healed from the inside out. I hope. Still has a ways to go, but now that it is a lot drier out in the pasture he isn't quite as likely to get it coated in yuck right away. I put more ointment on it.

No comments: