Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big day!

Today, Solomon had his hooves trimmed.


The last time his feet were done, I was sick as a dog so the farrier had to do it without me there. She told me he was a totally different horse without me, extremely nervous and not trusting anything. This was surprising to me!

My farrier is Anne Ramsey. She's in the bay area. She does a good job with Sol's problem feet, and the chiro who came out was very impressed with her work. Sol was way way overdue for a trim, and needed a lot taken off, though she was careful to not make TOO dramatic of a change. Worked fine for Sol, he wasn't sore after and went charging up a hill a little later.



Argh, what's this?



His frogs are not thrushy, but he got thrush in his BAR. That crack on the outer ring of his hoof, the part that's like toenail, has a fissue full of thrush, eating away at it. The farrier says that if it eats much deeper he could lose the side of his hoof! GAH! Sooo I get to go out to the barn every single day rain or shine for a while to treat that. Sol gets to go back to pasture- his paddock just gets too mucky.



Haha, love this pic. He's like "oh yeah, gettin' my nails done, I'm getting a manicure because I am FANCY!"


So today I turned him out in the trap, and just opened the trap gate into the pasture, which he went right on through, no prompting needed. Then he charged up the hillside to circle around his little "band," which has lost two members. He HAD Venus, Rebel (a cot cutting gelding) Bobby (2 year old gelding, went back to training) and sometimes Dragon, who is really a free agent. Right now there are only two. The roan is Rebel... can't tell if the other is Venus or not.



That's him on the right.







Oh yes, he is quite happy to be back in his pasture.

On the drive home, I came upon this scene:





"HEY LADIES, CHECK ME OUT!!!"

2 comments:

ariemay said...

I love turkeys! -- and Sol :)

Evergrey said...

Aeh thank you, that made me smile! :D