Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Solly becomes a minor local celebrity!

This photo:



Is now on a fake magazine cover at the Walgreen's in Pinole, haha!

In other news, when I went out to the pasture today, I found Solomon napping with Venus standing guard:





After a while I became a little concerned because he wasn't getting up, even when the hay truck came by. Of course you can see that they have plenty of green grass (this does not last long here in California) and are sleeping on some of their feed, but still I was worried. Turns out he was just sleepy and relaxed, as when Knic Knac (that's how her name is actually spelled, heh) came over he jumped up and rolled out.

Before that, however, I decided to try sitting on his back. First I gently sat on him sideways so I could jump off if he seemed displeased. No broken bones for me if I can help it, thanks! No response though, so I straddle him. If I sit on his back while he is lying down, as it turns out, my feet don't touch the ground, haha!



He was not angry, scared, stressing, or obstinate. In fact, after a few moments he started snoring again. Hah. After beheading a tick I got back off his back, mostly because the ticks were making me nervous. He woke up while I was "dismounting" and then conked out again. Hey, maybe it was foolish of me to do it, but he's actually really gentle and careful when he's lying down- he let me pick his hooves out too! And it was a positive experience for him with me getting on and off his back, so that's also a good thing.

Now I'm going to go over to the (formerly) fugly horse of the day forums and post that I got on my horse's back with no tack or halter, no helmet, and wearing a skirt. With the picture of course. Hah. It's clear we are really charging around the pasture- he ALMOST beat a blade of grass and a dirt clump in this race. Almost.

1 comment:

ariemay said...

I think there are tick collars for horses. That's what I've heard anyway. (My chickens snacked on all of mine!)

I love when they lay down to sleep. It's so weird too see them on the ground, isn't it? Gia never lets me walk up to her ... she is always up as soon as I appear. :(