Hi, I'm Ev. I'm training to become a horsewoman. These are my adventures and misadventures. I'm green as hell, but so far, so good. I'm now learning from Bo (and sometimes his wife DeDe) at D&D Ranch in Pope Valley. I am extremely lucky to have this opportunity, I feel quite blessed, and I feel that they, and horses, have really turned my life around.
Solomon is my baby- a big old flea bitten grey Appendix gelding who is very kind and way too smart! I love him so very much. He is a rescue and was meant to be co-owned rehabbed, and maybe rehomed to a good home. He turned out to be over 25 years old with injuries that ultimately do not make him riding sound, so he is retired.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'll just give the vet my bank account info. It'll be faster.

Well, more money has been spent. We're on postdated checks now. Yay. I'm glad the vets are kind and understanding.




The cracks don't go so deep in the middle. The vet said it's bacterial, and that the hofo got too long and too wet for too long. She said I should NOT soak it. So now I have iodine to put on it. Hopefully that'll help kill off the bacteria and harden the hoof up.
She also told me that the trim was uneven. Gargh.

Well, in about 2.5 weeks we're moving north. The vet told me that I should have a pro farrier trim him up there, too, because his feet have a lot of issues. $$. $$$.

On the plus side she says he overall looks great. Quite healthy. In fact, she said to not let him get any heavier than he is. She also said that he should probably get around 14 pounds of feed a day. Oh wow, when he was in from pasture I was feeding him over twice that. He doesn't need to put on any more weight though! Now he needs to get into shape. And to stop getting injured.



Not sure when I'll be able to get a saddle for him. I am feeling very discouraged and overwhelmed right now.

No comments: